With the holiday season in full swing, you may be thinking about keeping your home safe while you’re away for the evening, overnight or longer. Your garage door can be a potential weak spot in your home that could provide an easy access point for intruders. Not to scare anyone, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry! To help you keep your family and home safe this holiday season, I’ve put together some useful tips that could help you prevent a break-in.
– If you have a garage door opener remote – do not leave it in the car. A common tactic among thieves is to find a certain car that has a door opener remote in it and get the owner’s address from their insurance or registration paperwork. If your remote is in the car, this makes it very easy for them to gain access to your home via the garage.
– If your door comes with a built-in lock, make sure it is locked before you leave. Alternately, if you have a sectional door on tracks, a simple but effective tactic is to place a C-clamp on both tracks above the door to prevent it from being moved schlüsseldienst in Hannover.
– If the garage or the door itself has any windows, make sure they are covered up or obscured to prevent anyone from seeing if your car is in the garage or not, or if your garage contains any other valuable items this will help to conceal them.
– If your garage door has an emergency release handle, which is common amongst most new doors, it is possible in some instances to trigger this from outside the door with only a coat hanger. Zip-tying the handle in place will prevent this but will not prevent you from using the handle normally.
– If you have an older door opener, you may want to consider replacing it with a more modern opener that includes additional security features like “rolling codes”, which prevent your garage door opener from being exploited by clever thieves who can tap into the signal emitted by your door opener. It is paramount to keep your garage door safe and secure because, as I stated before, I it one of the weakest points of your home. If your garage door exhibits any of the above behaviors, it is indeed the right time to repair your garage door.